Close this search box.

Canadian Immigration Support

Student Services provides comprehensive Canadian immigration support services to assist current students with navigating the complexities of immigration applications, and procedures as outlined by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

At Niagara University, Immigration Support is provided by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) in good standing with the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC).

Immigration Insights

Post-Graduate Work Permit

Study Permit Extension (Inside Canada)

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Applying for an initial Study Permit
(Outside Canada)

Effective January 22, 2024, the Government of Canada has amended its requirements for study permit applications.

Note: Masters Degree students are not required to acquire a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) to support their study permit applications.

Applying for a Study Permit Extension
(Inside Canada)

Amending a Study Permit

If your study permit was issued with an error made by IRCC, you should apply to amend the study permit as soon as possible.

For example: If you are eligible to work in Canada, but the wording on your study permit states you “may not work” or “may not accept employment”, you will need to amend your study permit to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) and begin working in Canada.

Amendment applications may only be submitted through paper-based applications. The amendment application form may be found on the IRCC website.

Transferring Post-Secondary Institutions
(Inside Canada)

Students who have previously studied at another Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada are not required to obtain a new study permit as a result of transferring to a new post-secondary institution. However, it is essential to Change the DLI number associated with your existing study permit.

This process is free of charge and must be completed online.

  • If a student’s academic program and/or audit will extend beyond their current study permit’s expiration date, the student must apply for a study permit extension before the document expires. See applying for a study permit extension for more information.


This information provided on this website provides a general overview of the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship (IRCC) application processes and is meant to be used solely as a guide for Niagara University students.

The information presented does not constitute legal advice, and may change at any time without notice. For the most up to date immigration details, please visit the IRCC website.

Stay Connected