Frequently Asked Questions from International Students Interested in Enrolling at Niagara University

Yes, the IRCC webpage provides a good overview of what international students need to know to be able to enroll at a Canadian post-secondary institution and what they need to enter Canada.  For more information please visit the links below.

A study permit is not only required in the process to receive permission to come to Canada.  Applying for a study permit before commencing an academic program online, allows the time spent online after the study permit application has been filed and received by Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to be considered in an application for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP).

The IRCC website states:

  • "Important: Time spent studying outside of Canada only begins to count towards PGWP length after the department receives the study permit application. As such, studies undertaken before the department received the study permit application can be deducted from the PGWP length."

For more information, please see below:

Yes, for confirmation that Niagara University (DLI# O268049601572) is on IRCC’s approved DLI list (including an approved Covid-19 readiness plan) please visit:

Latest Information on COVID-19 restrictions:



A graduate of a degree program must apply within 180 days of receiving their final marks.  The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience. It is important to understand that that there is an application process and no guarantee of receiving a work permit.

For more information on the PGWPP, the application process and eligibility criteria, visit the following sites: